Wednesday 26 November 2014

Experiments with Image Effects(Unity Pro) in some of my games

Crystal Planet
Game is located on a strange planet somewhere in the space. It's about mixing laser colors to prepare RGB signal. I fell free to use all kind of freaky effects. I started with Glow, to change look of my laser emitters (color balls), so they could look more consistently to the particles that they produce. Then I use Edge Detection, to get comics look. At the end I set Saturation, so the planet looks lighted by the green planet at the background. First image is the original one. Used effects are shown on the right.



On The Fly
Game has very simple graphic, and single effect can completely change the mood of the game.

Original
Edge detection(Mode: SobelDepth)
Edge detection(Mode: TriangleDepthNormals) + Depth of field
Edge detection(Mode: TriangleDepthNormals) + Bloom
Edge detection+ Bloom + Depth of field 
Edge detection + Saturation
Edge detection(Mode: SobelDepth) + Saturation. Different view, to show weird "kind of fog" effect.

Snake & Mouse
& Fisheye that looks like it affects only borders of the arena.


Conclusion:
Easy to use, very fast to gain cool effects with single click. A lot of effects give the result that I thought it require more job with modeling. I feel that I just find out the magic missing element, between "nice graphic!" games and the others one.

TODO:
Check IndieEffects - Image Effects for unity Free.

UPDATE 31.12.2014: 
Using Noise And Grain:
http://startunity3d.blogspot.com/2014/12/ludum-dare-31-and-december-1gam.html

No comments:

Post a Comment